Weddings are always a wonderful occasion for family and friends.
Readers have been treated with a selection of wedding announcements from years gone by thanks to Marie Nielson from Dungog Historical Society.
Dungog Chronicle - May 7, 1935
The wedding was celebrated at St Andrews Presbyterian Church, Dungog on March 20th between Rex Ronald Farley, eldest son of Mr Angus Farley and the late Mrs Farley, and Miriam Elizabeth Esther Beggs, second daughter of Mr and Mrs William Beggs, of Fosterton. Rev J Robb performed the ceremony.
The bride, who was given away by her father, Mr W Beggs, wore a beautiful gown of white silk marocain ankle length, with silk embroidered veil and orange blossoms. She carried a beautiful bouquet of white roses and asters, with white satin streamers.
The bridesmaid, Miss Gladys Neilson, cousin of the bride, wore pink crepe de chene and hat to match. The bridesmaid carried a bouquet of pink dahlias and roses with pink streamers.
The train bearers, Jean Beggs, sister of the bride, and Mary Crick, niece of the bride, were daintily dressed in pink marocain ankle length dresses, with bandeau of flowers and carried baskets of asters.
The best man was Mr Roy Beggs, uncle of the bride.
The bride's mother was dressed in mastic crepe de chene with hat to catch and carried a bouquet of asters, phlox and ferns.
The bridegroom's gift to the bride was a handsome hand-bag, and the bridegroom's gift to the bridesmaid was a xylonite set. The bridegroom's gifts to the train bearers were gold brooches.
The church was prettily decorated for the occasion with white flowers and ferns. During the signing of the register, Miss E Robb played the wedding march.
The reception was held at the Globe Café which was attractively decorated with pink and white blossoms, where the bride's mother, who was dressed in mastic crepe de chene with hat to match, carrying a beautiful bouquet of asters, phlox and ferns, received the guests.
The bride's mother was assisted by Mrs Chick (Stroud), daughter of Mr and Mrs Beggs, who wore a gown of grey marocain and hat to match.
The happy couple was showered with confetti and received the good wishes of the large gathering as they left for their honeymoon.
Dungog Chronicle - November 1, 1935
A very pretty wedding was celebrated at Fosterton on Saturday 12th October, when Ruby Ruth, daughter of Mr and Mrs George Germon of Horse-Shoe, and Arthur Corner, also of Fosterton, were united in holy bonds of matrimony in the Fosterton Union Church, the officiating clergyman being the Rev DC Harper.
The bride looked charming as she entered the crowded church on the arm of her father, wearing a dress of white marocain with the customary wreath and veil and carrying a sheaf of Arum lilies.
The bridesmaid, Miss Beryl Germon, sister of the bride, wore a dress of powder blue silk, with hat and shoes to tone, and carried a bouquet of pink roses. Miss Doris Hicks, cousin of the bride, wore a dress of pink silk, acted as train bearer.
All bouquets were gifts from Mrs Cliff Lean of Croom Park. Mr P Germon, brother of the bride, acted as best man.
The bride's mother wore a dress of navy marocain with hat and shoes to tone and carried a bouquet of red roses. The church was beautifully decorated by the friends of the bride.
"The Voice that Breathed oér Eden" was sung by the congregation, Miss Dulcie Collier officiating at the organ.
The wedding breakfast was served at the bride's home, where about fifty guests were entertained.
A beautiful display of wedding presents marked the goodwill of the friends of the happy couple.
The bride and bridegroom were entertained at a gift evening by their friends prior to the wedding.
They will be missed in the district and their many friends join in wishing Mr and Mrs Arthur Corner of Brookfield every happiness and prosperity in their new sphere of life.
Dungog Chronicle - June 28, 1935
A pretty wedding took place at the Methodist Church, Woonona, on the 1st June, when Connie, daughter of the late Mr J Roberts and Mrs Roberts of Woonona, was married to Geoffrey, only son of the late Mr M Pettett and Mrs Pettett of Dungog.
The church had been tastefully decorated by friends of the bride.
The Rev AS Bohanna, of Dungog performed the ceremony.
The bride wore a dress of white satin with a tulle veil and a coronet of orange blossoms. Carrying a sheaf of pale pick gladioli and tuber roses, she entered the church on the arm of her brother-in-law, Mr A Wilson, who gave her away.
The bridesmaid, Miss Lila Roberts, sister of the bride, wore a dress of salmon pink flat crepe and a hat of silver lame trimmed with a pick velvet spray. Her sheaf was composed of pink and white flowers.
Mr Jack Naylor of "Wavertree", Brightling, cousin of the bridegroom, was best man.
While the bride and bridegroom signed the register, Miss Heard sang "Because".
As the bridal party left the church the wedding march was played by Miss Bywater.
The reception was held in the Methodist school hall, Woonona.
A large number of congratulatory telegrams were received by the happy couple, who later in the evening left by car for Kiama, the bride traveling in a blue wool crepe de chene dress and a grey hat.
Dungog Chronicle - May 10, 1935
A very pleasant evening was held in the Methodist Church hall, Dungog on Tuesday night, when the members of the congregation met to honor Mr Geoff Pettett and Miss Con Roberts, who are to be married shortly.
There was a large attendance. On behalf of the congregation the couple were handed a tea set, case of spoons and a sandwich tray. The Sunday school scholars presented the guests of the evening with a case of xylonite brushes.
Dungog Chronicle - April 19, 1935
On Tuesday 26th February, at St John's Church of England, Stroud, the marriage was celebrated of Isabel Anne, only daughter of Mr and Mrs CE Price, Verona, Stroud to David Benjamin, eldest son of Mr and Mrs R Kennedy, of Ferndale, Wangat, by the Rev CMO Stretch.
The church had been decorated by friends of the bride. Mrs JE Payne presided at the organ and as the bride entered the church the congregation sang "The Voice that Breathed Oér Eden".
The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a frock of ivory crepe de chine and silk angel lace and featuring a cowl neck-line. Her beautiful embroidered tulle veil was held in place by a coronet of orange blossoms and was kindly lent by Mrs RL Hudson of Dusodie, sister of the bridegroom.
The bride carried a bouquet of Easter daisies, Cecil Brunner roses and asparagus (fern), the gift of Mrs SC Newton.
The bridesmaid, Miss Elma Wade, cousin of the bride, wore marina blue delustered crepe with white accessories to match, her bouquet being blue delphiniums, Cecil Brunner roses and maiden hair fern, also the gift of Mrs Newton, and she wore a crystal necklace, the gift of the bridegroom.
The bridegroom was attended by Mr TH Bosworth as best man.
The reception was held at "Derrybawn", the residence of the bride's aunt, Miss Price, where the bride's mother received guests wearing navy Marocain with fawn trimmings. The bridegroom's mother chose grey marocain with pink trimmings.
The Rev CMO Stretch presided at the breakfast ad the usual toasts were honoured.
The newly married couple later left by train for the north coast, where the honeymoon was spent, the bride traveling in a blue talsil frock with hat and shoes to match.
The happy couple were the recipients of beautiful presents, including many cheques.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.