Some traditional owners opposed to Adani's coal mine on their land have failed in a court bid to bolster their case against the mining giant.
They made an application to the Federal Court on Friday, the same day Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk set a mid-June deadline for the completion of two outstanding state approvals for the controversial mine in the Galilee Basin.
Their appeal over the validity of an indigenous land use agreement with Adani is set down for hearing in the Federal Court next week.
But they asked the court in Sydney if they could add new material, in relation to a newly published judgment, in a bid to strengthen their appeal chances.
Barrister Tom Sullivan, for Adani, told the court that amounted to "changing the goal posts" and would require further investigations and the exploration of new evidence.
He said the parties had already defined the scope of the litigation.
The court found it was not in the interest of justice, or fair, to Adani and the other respondents to subject them to a wider trial on a larger issue.
The application was dismissed.
The appeal over Adani's indigenous land use agreement with the Wangan and Jagalingou people will go ahead in Brisbane from Monday next week.
Australian Associated Press