Following the Chamber AGM on August 23, I would like to introduce to our committee for 2018/19: Marion Stuart, Janice Bonamy, Haley Collis, Colleen Duffy, Sarah Crawford, Michael Williams, Wes Neilson and Chris Ahearn.
The Committee and I look forward to the opportunities and challenges facing us in the year ahead and we will continue to help build a strong, competitive, and prosperous business environment across Dungog Shire.
I have been chatting with Ivan Skaines, Council’s Economic Development, Tourism and Events Co-ordinator, about the Dungog Shire event landscape and, as usual, September provides a smorgasbord of opportunities for both locals and visitors to the area.
- Circus Avalon will be at the Dungog Showground from this Friday, 7 September to Sunday, 9 September 2018.
- The Vacy Village Country Carnival will be back again next Sunday, 9 September.
- The Hunter Valley Polo Challenge will be held at Wirragulla on Saturday, 15 and Sunday, 16 September
- Pedalfest will be staged with two new events namely the Dungog Criterion around Dungog on Saturday afternoon, 22 September and the Bingleburra Sportive on Sunday morning, 23 September.
- The annual Art Exhibition staged by the Dungog Arts Society will be launched on Friday, 21 September and the exhibition will run from Saturday, 22 September until Monday, 1 October
- And to finish off the month the Dungog Festival including Sculpture on the Farm at “Fosterton”, the Country Garden Ramble at Dungog and Fosterton, and Oktoberfest at Wallarobba will be held over the weekend Friday, 28 September to Monday, 1 October.
Since Dungog Shire fights above its weight in organising and staging iconic events, most of which are organised by community groups and not for profit organisations, there are a number of us keen to see the major events strategy which is currently being developed for the Hunter Region. Discussions are under way to gather views on the future of events in the region from a wide range of business, industry, sports and events sector representatives. These will be being turned into concrete ideas and options for discussion before finalising the strategy recommendations.
A final report is imminent, and we look forward to having a framework for growing events in our region.