Entries are flooding in for the 2018 Hunter Photography Prize.
The winner will be published in the Newcastle Herald on Saturday, February 3.
Check out below for the terms and conditions of the competition.
The Newcastle Herald and other Fairfax Media newspapers across the Hunter are searching for the region’s best backyard photographer.
A selection of entries will be published in print and online in the Herald and other mastheads.
Artist and jewellery designer Jo Davis won the prize in January 2017 with a sun-drenched image of her son with seagulls at Newcastle Ocean Baths.
“It’s absolutely unreal,” Ms Davis said after her photo was judged as the best from hundreds of entries that were published across the region’s Fairfax Media titles.
“I love photography and am always uploading photos on Facebook, so it’s exciting that people appreciate what I do.”
Terms and conditions of entry
- The Hunter Photography Prize is open to residents of the Hunter region.
- To be eligible your main source of income can’t be derived from photography. Photos must either be taken in the region or feature Hunter people. You can shoot your pictures with anything from a Box Brownie to an iPhone.
- The overall winner will collect the Hunter Photography Prize. Our judges will select the winning and highly commended entries. The judges’ decisions are final. A readers’ choice award will be voted via theherald.com.au and other websites.
- A selection of entries will be published in print editions and/or on the websites of the Herald and other newspapers, including the Maitland Mercury, Port Stephens Examiner, Singleton Argus, Lakes Mail, Newcastle & Lake Macquarie Star, Cessnock’s Advertiser, Dungog Chronicle, Muswellbrook Chronicle, Scone Advocate and Hunter Valley News.
- The camera prize packages are from Domayne Kotara.
- First prize: Nikon D3400 camera with 18-55mm lens kit valued at $729, plus a Vanguard shoulder bag and 500 free 6 x 4 prints.
- Highly commended: Canon 1300D with 18-55mm lens kit valued at $588, plus a Vanguard shoulder bag and 500 free 6 x 4 prints.
- Readers’ choice: GoPro Hero4 session valued at $238 plus 200 free 6 x 4 prints.
- By entering, a person is stating the photograph was taken by them and that they own the copyright.
- The photographer gives Fairfax Media and the associated mastheads permission to publish their submitted photographs in any form, including print, online, book, calendar or exhibition.
- The photographer retains the copyright.
- Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org (maximum five photos, as JPEG attachments). Include your name, address, phone number, photo title, and a brief description of the image explaining who or what is in the picture as well as the date and location.
- Write your name and “Hunter Photography Prize” in the subject field. Please note that not all photo entries will be published. Photos must be minimum 500kb and maximum of 2mb. Fairfax reserves the right to crop a photograph.
- The judges will include senior photographer Simone De Peak, Hunter Communities editor Anna Wolf, Herald editor Heath Harrison, senior deputy editor Lisa Allan, Lower Hunter acting editor Rick Allen and Upper Hunter editor Rod Thompson.
- The competition closes at 5pm on January 24, 2018.